Monday 14 November 2011

A couple of animations I love.

I haven't really post much about the animations I've seen and what inspires me. So I'll post about two childhood favourites. I'll try and post more often about animations I see.

First off is this Tom and Jerry episode "Puss gets the Boot"



I remember this from very early childhood. I spent a lot of time watching videos with various recorded cartoons on including this episode of Tom and Jerry. I remember there being an episode or two of Popeye, Betty Poop and Felix the Cat too.

Looking at it now, I still think it's a great cartoon and knowing what I do now about the production of animation I am even more impressed. I've always liked how the animation always matches the rhythms and instruments in the music and I think that has stuck with me because I always remember it for that. I used to get so annoyed with Jerry winning all the time!! I particularly like Tom's (Jasper then) walk cycles, they're very odd and some are probably incorrect but they portray very well his personality and intentions. For example, right at the beginning, it is very clear that Tom has no intention of harming Jerry at that point and is just cruelly playing with him, as real cats do!




I LOVED this film (still do!) and I remember thinking about how they made it. I don't remember when it was when I found out or if I even looked into it. I'd be lying if I said I'd wanted to animate since I was a kid, I wish I did sometimes but it took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do. All I knew was that I wanted to do something with my drawing ability that wasn't just an artist (traditional painter or something).

However, who could not appreciate the idea of toys coming to life when you're not looking?? This film is complete nostalgia candy for anyone who loved toys (and who didn't?!), I don't know a person my age who is not captivated by it. I watched the last film recently and cried. Both for sadness and happiness really. It was touching to see Andy give his toys away but I was sad that it was coming to an end. On the other hand, I was really happy with the way it had ended. It was a proper happy ending! The last thing I would have wanted was the story to be stretched beyond its life. Watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment